Skip to main content

openSUSE.Asia Summit 2017

openSUSE.Asia Summit 2017 was held at University of Electro Communication (UEC) Chofu Tokyo on October 20-22, 2017. Japan is an advance developed country. Tokyo is a big city that can be compared with other major big cities in the world. While it is not the first time for me to go to Tokyo, I was so excited when the committee approved my talk, and openSUSE, as always, give me TSP to come to the event.


During the preparation we have  online meeting every week since February 15, 2017. I was so happy to help the preparation of this yearly openSUSE Summit for Asia Region. Indonesia community also contribute to provide the online voting for the logo contest this year through the voting site.

On the midnight on October 17, 2017 together with my friend Estu Fardani, I went to Tokyo.

It was 7 hours long flight. While almost half of the flight was so bumpy because the initiation of Lan Cyclone, in the morning of October 18, 2017 I enjoyed the clear sky with the golden hour in Japan air around Okinawa prefecture.


After the good landing on Haneda Airport, I passed the immigration gate. What a surprise that my friend, Takeyama san already waiting us in the arrival gate with the openSUSE.Asia Summit 2017 flag on his hand. That was an enjoyable moment. Arigatou Takeyama san.

To make it short, well a lot of story to be written event that I just arrive in Haneda, I bought the Pasmo Card which is a must for every foreigner in Tokyo. After that I setup the Hongkong 3G/4G card which I bought cheap on the Internet and roaming auto-magically to the Japan Softbank network. Now we ready to experience the complicated yet superior Tokyo train and it's station :-)

On 7 PM October 20 night, Takeyama san and Japan local committee invite all of speakers to UEC. They organized a special welcoming party. I was so glad that I met with Richard, Ludwig, Ana, Andreas, Takeyama, Hato-chan, Ogasawara, Sunny, Zhao Qiang, Max Lin, Ben Chou and many others from local committee and libreoffice japan. 11 from 12 Indonesian speakers attended this welcome party, me, Yan, Andi, Tonny, Kukuh, Estu, Moko, Saputro, Dhenandi, Alin, Umul. Only Sendy did not attend on that  occasion. Anyway, thanks to all  of you.

On October 21, the first day of the summit started on 9.30 AM. There is an opening speech by Takeyama san from the local committee. It follows by Richard Brown, chairman of openSUSE Board with his keynote speech "openSUSE - A Reintroduction"

The first day complete schedule can be seen from OSEM.
I follow almost all the class on Main Room, except from 13:30 - 14:30 I follow Alcho class on workshop place.

My schedule is at the end of the day 1 on Main Room. It is a very challenging presentation because almost all of us is already exhausted and tired. At 5.15 PM I stand in the Main Room to give my presentation.

After day 1 finish, the friendly local committee ask all the participants to have a dinner. Thanks to Japan Team that provide halal food for us, you're all very kind! We eat so much until around 9 PM :-) and went back to our hotel after that.

The day 2 start at around 9.30 AM. Beside me and Dhenandi, who had the presentation on day 1, almost all Indonesian speakers will give the presentation on day 2. It was very difficult to choose which class I should follow because the speakers and materials are all awesome!

Actually my personal target to encourage many Indonesia young speakers to come to this Summit is to give them the opportunity to meet and have the conversations with other openSUSE contributors from all over the world directly face to face. Hopefully it can increase their confidence and in the end they can also become the better contributor in the future. They are not perfect and even one of the fellow speaker said that Indonesian-English is one of the worst English in the world :-) . I have to admit that English of my fellow Indonesian speakers are not good, I know. Nevertheless, I'm really proud of them, they can handle the language barriers and not being trapped by the inferior complex :-)

Ah we also did not forget to take a group photo

Takeyama san and local committee had been so kind to us to make a one-day tour after the summit. On Monday October 23, we had a great time visiting Asakusa temple, Skytree and Akihabara.

openSUSE.Asia Summit 2017 was a wonderful experience for me. Thank you openSUSE, SUSE, our lovely communities, and Japan local committee. See you next year for the openSUSE.Asia Summit 2018.

Flickr photo of the summit can be seen on:
[1] my flickr photo album
[2] openSUSE.Asia Summit 2017 flickr group album 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prejudice and Privilege

Notes : It is not about Linux or other geeky stuff nor it is a political writing.  It was a day in the end of March 2007. I was just landed at the Franz Josef Strauss Munich Airport  around 10 AM in the morning. I had 5 days free time from my work in Astrium. At that time I was contracted by EADS Astrium  (now become Airbus Defense and Space) to work with them in Toulouse . I worked for one of their project. I flew from Toulouse where I worked to visit my brother family in Munich. Just after I picked up my luggage from the conveyor, three guys without uniform approaching me and asked me in English what i'm doing in Munich. I asked them if I did anything wrong. One of them told me that it was a random checked.     "Who are you guys? Sorry sir if it is a random check, why do you choose me instead of other?" I reply to their answer.  One of them said they're from the Munich immigration, and at the same time showing a gun behind his jacket. For my itinerary Munich was not

Asterisk 1.6.1 on openSUSE 11.1 (Part 2)

In this second part I will explain step-by-step configuration to use our appliance to build an Asterisk PABX server. Without further ado, here is the list: Install the Digium card on the PCI slot Install our appliance. You can also use any linux distribution, download asterisk from its website and install it. There are several softwares I forget when I made the appliance, it is not the mandatory (dependencies) but they are useful when we want to use asterisk optimally. They are: mpg123, sox, libmad, and festival. The easiest way to install it in openSUSE is using zypper. Check it first where they reside in repositories and add the repositories accordingly. mpg123 and sox are in the packman repositoriy, libmad in OBS (please check with webpin) and festival in oss. Then as root run: "zypper install mpg123 sox libmad0 festival". It is always useful to update your installation to update repository, to make sure that all the security update is up to date. Download the

In Search of Manohara

Notes: I always write note in my laptop and put it somewhere either on disk or cloud when I think there is an interesting experience. I found this 7 years old note when I try to clear some space in my disk, and before I wipe it out from my disk I think it is an interesting story to share with you. This happened in 2011, at that time I was working to build Linux based computer labs for 500 elementary and junior high schools in Yogyakarta Indonesia. No it is not about computer and other geeky stuff. So here it is.  Well, it is very out of topic everyone, you've already been warned 😁 During my busy weeks in implementing openSUSE Li-f-e for schools in Yogyakarta Indonesia (see the pictures below), me and one of my colleague use our free time in a Sunday afternoon to visit Borobudur , the biggest Buddhist temple in the world. One of the World Heritage preserve by Unesco. 85% of Indonesia population are Moslem and this make Indonesia the biggest Moslem country in the world. We