Skip to main content

My Trip to openSUSE.Asia Summit 2015

I have several good friends from Taiwan including Sakana Max and Joey Lee, an active openSUSE members, and also Franklin Weng and Erick that I met during GNOME.Asia Summit 2015 in Depok Indonesia. All of them make me want to visit Taiwan.


In the end of July 2015 Joey Lee sent me an email to involve in openSUSE.Asia Summit 2015 that will be held in Taipei on December 2015. Thanks Joey!

 
Since then I follow the IRC meeting several times, and knows many great openSUSE people from Taiwan, China and Japan. Al Cho was the busiest guy for the Summit, you did a great job! Finally on October 21, I got an email said that my presentation for the summit was accepted. The committee also accepted the proposal from 2 others openSUSE users from Indonesia, Utian and Estu.


I apply for Travel Support Program (TSP). It is the first time for me and I was really amazed by the application system and off course the team behind openSUSE TSP. On November 23, openSUSE accepted my TSP application. Thanks openSUSE, Izabel and team!



I prepare for Taiwan visa, book an airline ticket and hotel. The important thing is my presentation. I have an old presentation for GNOME.Asia Summit 2015 in Depok Indonesia, but I need to add several new information considering that the audience are from many region so it would give a clear understanding about the situation.

I also make some "noise" about the summit in openSUSE Indonesia Facebook Group. Currently we have around 2900 people in the group and they're very active. FYI we sometimes have giveaway for randomly selected people in the group, it is fun and effective openSUSE marketing!

 
On December 3, I went to Taipei. Utian and Estu went there one day earlier than me, but we will stay in same hotel. My flight was 08.30 Jakarta time and it needs around 6,5 hours flight from Jakarta to Taipei but my flight was transit in Hongkong around 3 hours. Around 20.30 Taipei time I arrived in my hotel in Taipei. By the way the temperature was around 14 centigrade and windy so it was a bit cold for me who just arrived from tropical country with temperature around 30 centigrade.

On December 4 morning, I visited the SUSE Taiwan office along with Estu and Utian. We met with Al Cho, Joey Lee and other SUSE staffs, they were very welcome :-D

  
This summit was very special because it was held just several weeks after the release of openSUSE Leap 42.1. The committee made a "Release Party" that held together between openSUSE Taiwan community and Ubuntu Taiwan community. On the night of December 4 I was invited and share the joy with everyone. Great party.


On December 5, 2015 openSUSE.Asia Summit 2015 was open, and off course there are many DVD and stickers :-D


Michal Hrusecky, openSUSE Board, give a keynote speech about what's been going on in openSUSE lately.


And after the break it was my turn. I put my presentation on slideshare in case any of you want to read.

 


It is a wonderful experience, met with openSUSE users from all over Asia and Europe, discuss about our experience about developing and implementing openSUSE. We have a great community! I really enjoy discuss with everyone. I met personally with Dominic Launberger and Ludwig Nussel from openSUSE release team, thanks to share your knowledge and the chitchat.



The first day of summit is end up with the dinner. During this occasion I have a great conversation with everyone. Thanks Alex, Sunny, Joey and openSUSE Japan team it was a great conversation.


On December 6, there are many more talks and workshop. Some of them are in Mandarin, I cannot understand but for sure it was great at least by looking to the presentation :-D  



Many things we can learn from this summit, we meet with all openSUSE user from all across Asia, we know from the first place how the development process is, and the most important thing is we know each other so we can continue to communicate after the summit. 

It is an honor for me to attend to this event and hope Indonesia can be the host of the next openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016. See you all next year!



Most of photographs are taken from:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vanmalay/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/opensuse-asia-summit-2015/

Thanks to:
Utian Ayuba, Estu Fardani - You both are great travel companion
Al Cho, Joey Lee, openSUSE Taiwan - Thanks for invitation
Sakana Max - You should come next time :-D
Franklin Weng, Erick - You make me always remember that I have friends in Taiwan
Rijal, Rosi, Pak Pur, LC - The video rock!
openSUSE Indonesia Community - Thanks for great support
openSUSE - Thanks for the great distro and TSP :-D 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prejudice and Privilege

Notes : It is not about Linux or other geeky stuff nor it is a political writing.  It was a day in the end of March 2007. I was just landed at the Franz Josef Strauss Munich Airport  around 10 AM in the morning. I had 5 days free time from my work in Astrium. At that time I was contracted by EADS Astrium  (now become Airbus Defense and Space) to work with them in Toulouse . I worked for one of their project. I flew from Toulouse where I worked to visit my brother family in Munich. Just after I picked up my luggage from the conveyor, three guys without uniform approaching me and asked me in English what i'm doing in Munich. I asked them if I did anything wrong. One of them told me that it was a random checked.     "Who are you guys? Sorry sir if it is a random check, why do you choose me instead of other?" I reply to their answer.  One of them said they're from the Munich immigration, and at the same time showing a gun behind his jacket. For my itinerary Munich was not

Asterisk 1.6.1 on openSUSE 11.1 (Part 2)

In this second part I will explain step-by-step configuration to use our appliance to build an Asterisk PABX server. Without further ado, here is the list: Install the Digium card on the PCI slot Install our appliance. You can also use any linux distribution, download asterisk from its website and install it. There are several softwares I forget when I made the appliance, it is not the mandatory (dependencies) but they are useful when we want to use asterisk optimally. They are: mpg123, sox, libmad, and festival. The easiest way to install it in openSUSE is using zypper. Check it first where they reside in repositories and add the repositories accordingly. mpg123 and sox are in the packman repositoriy, libmad in OBS (please check with webpin) and festival in oss. Then as root run: "zypper install mpg123 sox libmad0 festival". It is always useful to update your installation to update repository, to make sure that all the security update is up to date. Download the

In Search of Manohara

Notes: I always write note in my laptop and put it somewhere either on disk or cloud when I think there is an interesting experience. I found this 7 years old note when I try to clear some space in my disk, and before I wipe it out from my disk I think it is an interesting story to share with you. This happened in 2011, at that time I was working to build Linux based computer labs for 500 elementary and junior high schools in Yogyakarta Indonesia. No it is not about computer and other geeky stuff. So here it is.  Well, it is very out of topic everyone, you've already been warned 😁 During my busy weeks in implementing openSUSE Li-f-e for schools in Yogyakarta Indonesia (see the pictures below), me and one of my colleague use our free time in a Sunday afternoon to visit Borobudur , the biggest Buddhist temple in the world. One of the World Heritage preserve by Unesco. 85% of Indonesia population are Moslem and this make Indonesia the biggest Moslem country in the world. We