Skip to main content

openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016 - Note from a backstage participant

After openSUSE.Asia Summit 2015 we prepare the 3rd openSUSE.Asia Summit. I discussed with Estu and Utian who accompany me to Taipei last year that 2016 Asia summit should be in Indonesia. We prepare the proposal and submitted to openSUSE.Asia Committee which I become one of them too. Asia committee received the proposal from openSUSE Indonesia Community who willing to conduct the events in Yogyakarta Indonesia in October 2016. After several discussion, we submitted the proposal to openSUSE Board.

Board finally agree to our proposal and decided that openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016 will be hosted by openSUSE Indonesia Community in Yogyakarta Indonesia [1]. Alcho, a SUSE engineer from Taipei, one of openSUSE.Asia Committee announce it also during his presentation on openSUSE Conference in Nuremberg in June 2016.

We basically only have 3-4 months to prepare such a big event. I'm lucky that I have colleagues that I can work with. I should thank Estu Fardani, as the local team committee leader, Yan Arief who did the good job from administration to treasurer, and Chairrizal for preparing any equipments and documentation. I also should mention Kukuh Syafaat, almost all the artwork in this event was made by him. Together with Siska and Sendy, two other young people from Yogyakarta, we can start the preparation of the event.

While almost all the local team live in Yogyakarta,  I (and Kukuh) live in Jakarta, around 500 km from Yogyakarta. Countless online conversation and discussion was conducted during the preparation. I also visited Yogyakarta every end of month in the last 3 months to meet with the local committee. July, August and September are the busy months for us.


I want to thanks to all the sponsor of openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016 openSUSE, SUSE, Bekraf, UIN Sunan Kalijaga, Kominfo, Fans, Excellent,Biznet, Cloudkilat, Qwords, Ngonoo, KSL Kusuka, and off course all the openSUSE Indonesia Community.

I leave Jakarta on September 29, 2016 because I want to make sure that everything is ok. Also I promise Sakana Max that I will meet him on Yogyakarta Airport.


The summit start with workshop on September 30. Around 40 people follow this workshop since morning. The session was closed around 5 PM
 

The 1st day of openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016 was really a big surprise for everyone. Total attendee around 500 which make it the biggest openSUSE.Asia Summit we ever conduct.
(Photo by Fuminobu Takeyama)

Summit was open by UIN Faculty member and follow by 2 keynote. I have my workshop "High Availability Cluster with openSUSE Leap" [2] after the lunch. My class is follow by around 50 people and they look enthusiast with the topic.

My workshop

Photo group in the day 1

In the day 2, October 2nd 2016, the participant still enthusiast with the events. We have 2 keynote speakers, 2 workshop and several class. I follow several class by SUSE Taipei Engineer in this day. The event closed at around 5 PM and I should say that it is a big success.

Photo group in the day 2

We got a lot of help from everyone in the community during the preparation of openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016, so allow me to express my thanks to:
1. openSUSE Board
2. Andrew Wafaa
3. Douglas DeMaio
4. Manu Gupta
5. Sunny, Coli, Yifan, Qiang from SUSE Beijing
6. Joey Lee, Gary Lin, Max Lin, Ben Chou, Jeffrey, Alcho from SUSE Taipei
7. "Sakana" Max Huang from openSUSE TW community
8. Dr. Takeyama, Hatori san, Omo san from openSUSE JP community

A big thanks should be addressed also to the local volunteer, most of them are student from UIN Suka, the university that we host the event. Without them openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016 won't be succeed.


(All the good people, big thanks to you all!)


[1] https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2016-05/msg00022.html 
[2] http://www.slideshare.net/medwinz/ha-cluster-with-opensuse-leap 

Flickr photo: https://www.flickr.com/groups/opensuse-asia-summit-2016/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2WPP0_JRPY&list=PLx6VNfLiNpaiUcZyNdbNVuwYuECWkv_m7

This list will never be enough, thanks to :
1. Ahmad Haris and Glib
2. Didiet Pambudiono and KLAS
3. Everyone that help us to make this event happens
4. All the participants
You're all cool & rocks!!

See you next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prejudice and Privilege

Notes : It is not about Linux or other geeky stuff nor it is a political writing.  It was a day in the end of March 2007. I was just landed at the Franz Josef Strauss Munich Airport  around 10 AM in the morning. I had 5 days free time from my work in Astrium. At that time I was contracted by EADS Astrium  (now become Airbus Defense and Space) to work with them in Toulouse . I worked for one of their project. I flew from Toulouse where I worked to visit my brother family in Munich. Just after I picked up my luggage from the conveyor, three guys without uniform approaching me and asked me in English what i'm doing in Munich. I asked them if I did anything wrong. One of them told me that it was a random checked.     "Who are you guys? Sorry sir if it is a random check, why do you choose me instead of other?" I reply to their answer.  One of them said they're from the Munich immigration, and at the same time showing a gun behind his jacket. For my itinerary Munich was not

Asterisk 1.6.1 on openSUSE 11.1 (Part 2)

In this second part I will explain step-by-step configuration to use our appliance to build an Asterisk PABX server. Without further ado, here is the list: Install the Digium card on the PCI slot Install our appliance. You can also use any linux distribution, download asterisk from its website and install it. There are several softwares I forget when I made the appliance, it is not the mandatory (dependencies) but they are useful when we want to use asterisk optimally. They are: mpg123, sox, libmad, and festival. The easiest way to install it in openSUSE is using zypper. Check it first where they reside in repositories and add the repositories accordingly. mpg123 and sox are in the packman repositoriy, libmad in OBS (please check with webpin) and festival in oss. Then as root run: "zypper install mpg123 sox libmad0 festival". It is always useful to update your installation to update repository, to make sure that all the security update is up to date. Download the

In Search of Manohara

Notes: I always write note in my laptop and put it somewhere either on disk or cloud when I think there is an interesting experience. I found this 7 years old note when I try to clear some space in my disk, and before I wipe it out from my disk I think it is an interesting story to share with you. This happened in 2011, at that time I was working to build Linux based computer labs for 500 elementary and junior high schools in Yogyakarta Indonesia. No it is not about computer and other geeky stuff. So here it is.  Well, it is very out of topic everyone, you've already been warned 😁 During my busy weeks in implementing openSUSE Li-f-e for schools in Yogyakarta Indonesia (see the pictures below), me and one of my colleague use our free time in a Sunday afternoon to visit Borobudur , the biggest Buddhist temple in the world. One of the World Heritage preserve by Unesco. 85% of Indonesia population are Moslem and this make Indonesia the biggest Moslem country in the world. We